Friday, February 3, 2012

Each footfall of mine rumbles ominously through the cavernous basement lab as I advance towards the old lab tables of the famed Dr. Jekyll. I can't help but feel a creeping fear that seems to radiate from about me in the darkness, as though this laboratory has sinister intentions of its own for me. I move onward to a smaller table with several candles about its perimeter, and on it in the center of a semicircle of the candles is a log. The cover is old and faded, suggesting its use throughout Jekyll's long carrer of experimenting. While I page through it, I see that this is inded the case, with experiments from the time he was no older than twenty to the final experiment that is now suspected to have ended his life. Curiosity spurrs me on to look at the final entry, and when I read the title, I can't help but shudder as I realize he was experimenting with dividing the human soul itself. When I finally read to the bottom of the log entries for this experiment, I see that the final entry says no more than this: "My attempts to become perfect have created a monster unlike any other. Perfection is not to be sought, it is to be feared, for in contrast to any perfect good is a shadow of evil of the same potence."

Author's note: This was simply what came to my mind while reading the novel Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. Posting it here for some feedback and hopefully constructive criticism.

No comments:

Post a Comment