Friday, September 18, 2009

A Jury of her Peers

This short story is centered around the idea of payback. When Minnie's bird, a canary, is strangled, that is a massive wad of symbolism, as death by strangulation is what it repersents: slow, painful death, and a canary symbolizes FREEDOM AND INTELLECT, meaning the author is trying to show the suffering of Minnie due to the slow constriction of what she "breathed", singing. Thus, she tortured him with a painful death the way he tortured her with her lack of freedom.

2 comments:

  1. This was a really well written response. I like the way you phrased it that he tortured her with a lack of freedom, I didn't really think of it that way. I also liked how you used the capitalization and bolding to emphasize some points on you're theory. One complaint I had was that it didn't look you proofread it, because there a few mistakes in there that could have been caught. It also could have been a bit longer. Otherwise I didn't see anything else wrong with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an interesting response. I agree with what Greg said about doing a better job of proofing. You know, if I ever make a mistake, it's funny how always point out my errors even while I type. Now take that skill for edit and revision and apply it to your own writing.

    ReplyDelete